Harrodsburg First can help you prepare for an appearance before the City of Harrodsburg's Board of Architectural Review (BAR).
In 2001, the City of Harrodsburg adopted a historic overlay zone for Main Street properties. Owners of buildings within the historic overlay zoning district are required to apply for a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) for the following work:
Permissible changes are based Design Guidelines and regulations that were approved by the City Commission.
The City of Harrodsburg Board of Architectural Review administers the historic overlay zoning. The BAR is a 5-member board appointed by the City of Harrodsburg Mayor and approved by the Harrodsburg City Commission.
Members of the Board of Architectural Review and terms of service:
- Vacant Seat (term exp 10/24/2016)
- Greg Souder (term exp 10/24/2017)
- Richie McGinnis (term exp 10/24/2017)
- Kevin Meredith (term exp 6/29/2018)
- Drew Hardgrove (term exp 6/29/2018)
A Proud Main Street Program
1. Downtown Facade Improvement Fund - When funds are available, the Main Street Program provides assistance to property owners and businesses for exterior building improvements and signage.
2. Free Design Assistance - The Main Street Program provides free design assistance when renovating building exteriors. This may include color selections throughout the district using the Porter Paint historic paint colors, awning selections, building history, and signage.
3. Property Referral - The Main Street Program can assist interested parties to find buildings for sale/rent in the downtown area. Information can be provided on square footage, building condition, sales price and location.
4. Business Recruitment - The Main Street Program actively recruits new retail businesses, offices and service related businesses to downtown to compliment existing businesses and fill vacancies.
5. Market Information - The Main Street Program routinely gathers relevant market information, making it available to both businesses and developers.
6. Small Business Assistance - The Main Street Program offers a variety of assistance to existing businesses and new businesses. A wide range of publications are available as well as referral to state and federal agencies.
7. Calendar Of Events - The Main Street Program acts as a catalyst and coordinator to a wide variety of special events and retail sales promotions in the downtown.
8. Beautification - The Main Street Program continues to take on special projects such as annual flower plantings & maintenance, green-space clean up, and improving our streetscape elements (new trash cans, benches sidewalk improvements).
9. Education - The Main Street Program has ongoing educational focus regarding the goals, needs and methods of the Program, the assets already inherent downtown and the importance of preserving our historic buildings. It also provides assistance to property owners seeking Investment Tax Credits for the rehabilitation of historic buildings.
10. Advocacy - As the ombudsman for Downtown, your Main Street Program works to support the needs of the small, independent entrepreneur. Whether it is supporting special projects that enhance the downtown community or writing grants for improvements and infrastructure, Harrodsburg First is hard at work to improve and build a strong central business district.
Our executive director routinely makes visits to Frankfort and even Washington DC to advocate for preservation and Main Street issues.